Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My OneParagpraph Story

[Just to emphasize and to vex out my frustration, I'd like to post this entry in one para. Maaf if nampak macam too much to read, haha. Panas hati, siut.]

His 'Class A' company is the earthworks and piling contractor of my site. He's a Dato', and his site staff are so incompetent up to a tee, from Day One mind you. Dari A sampai Z nak kena tunjuk, nak kena suruh, nak kena push. Since they were first awarded last year December. Like this morning, the site Manager couldn't even tell off-hand which pile-points of a column that they have just started piling the last two days (which, should've started in July, by the way). They don't have a full-time piling surveyor on-site to keep track of the points, nor a Site Engineer to run the technicalities of the project as required in their contract... well hell, their so-called surveyor (who's a part-timer, which should've been a full-timer!) are still doing up the drawings of pile-numberings! So incompetent are they, that the Building Team has regarded them as 'gone case'. Even the Architect took a bold initiative to step up and provide the contractors an example of how the setting-out drawings should look like even though this task was supposed to be undertaken by the Engineers, or at least the contractor's own Site Engineer! They have manipulated us the client & Consultants so so many times, that today at the Site Meeting, we decided to list down the things that the contractor have not complied in lieu of the work they're doing. Their work has delayed 198 days, even after we have granted them an EOT (extension of time, to you non-technical readers) of 84 days previously. Pile machine masuk on the 6th of October, yet they submitted very incomprehensible drawings on the 23rd. And then they want to claim idling cost 'coz they claim my consultants asyik ada comment to their drawings when they (the contractor) don't even understand how to do setting-out drawings. Then, the Dato', who only makes appearances boleh dikira jari sebelah tangan je, came in for the Site Metting today, shouting around saying that the consultants are incompetent lot ~ asyik comment on their drawings, lambat reply on their submission... when in truth we have been asking (even minuted it down) for their piling setting-out drawings to be submitted to us for as long as before July. They expect the consultants to comment on their unruly drawings in a day padahal kita dah minta berbulan-bulan. Crazy buggers. And oh, last week the Dato' called me too, shouted at me on the phone on the same issues and demanded to have an Emergency Meeting. And so we did, with my own Big Boss chairing it. Which the Dato' came in, apologized for having only 5 minutes to spend 'coz he had a plane to catch for some Family Day in Langkawi and blabber away at my Boss. Before my Boss could say anything, the Dato' had to say goodbye. Just because he 'comolot' (cium mulut = kamcheng) with Najibs and a Class A Bumiputera contractor, he has so so many other government projects the past months. From what I heard, he only attended site meetings where client/consultants shout and scream. Ooo, like that eh. Just because for some reason my Big Boss has never shouted and screamed at him (Boss aku memang bukan that type) izit? Yang aku dok jerit-jerit kat Site Manager kau tu, tak diambil pot ya? Now, I have a question here: just because he's a Dato' or 'comolot' with Najibs, would that make him any more invincible and give him the rights to tell me and my consultants off, and that aku ni hanya bilis kecil so I don't have the rights nor the capacity to tell him that his team is incompetent? Well, that was too late a question, really. I've done raising my voice back at him many times the past week. Bloody hell my organisation is his paymaster, and he's the one not performing! Why should I be shouted at??? I even wrote a nasty memo last week, requesting him to remove his site staffs to a more competent and knowledgeable team. Lantak la kan. At least, my conscience is clear, no? Kau Dato' ka, Tan Sri ka, Tun ka. Bagi aku, dalam kubur esok malaikat tak tanya kau, "Wahaiiiii Dato'/Tan Sri/Tun so-and-so, siapa Tuhan kamu...", kan? Oh yeah, we've issued them warning letters, CNC (certificate of non-compliance, etc)... but you knowlah how termination process goes in the gomen sector. Panjang berjela-jela that we the client would still be on the losing end.

*pant pant pant*

Like I said, exasperation, no end. Ugh, menci akak, tawww.

Another big huge farking case of NEP abuse and misuse, that I can tell ya.

f~

4 comments:

F manchester. said...

I feel your pain....

It reminds me much of my site dulu- everything is just so unprofessional kan? Well besides CNC's and letters to cover your ass, can you not deduct non-compliance work from the progress payments? Plus his site staff kalau takde pun boleh deduct from the payments what.... if the contract states such staff and they are not on site full time- can deduct what. Hit them where it hurts and the only place is the payments. But I'm sure you and the architect has tried that but some other Dato' has forced you to release it, right...

Such is working life in Malaysia...

Ahmad Nurfarhi Rosley said...

Cian Ak Lin. Tu lah, I wonder mcm mana tah those ppl leh dpt title dato' or even boss with such attitude. I guess kat M'sia nih, to gain something "big" mesti ade kroni, org dalam, and pandai cakap tapi tak reti buat keje. Even masa fahy keje dulu nak deal with MMHE tuh pun bos sekor2 mcm najis. Boss fahy mat salleh tuh geleng kepala sambil maki2 dlm ati. Buat malu je melayu nih.

Saya said...

can I please breathe? Is that allowed around here? hihihi

Roti Kacang Merah said...

kak ilush
payments dah byk gila potong... partly why the dato' is fuming mad. they even claim payment of works that they're not supposed to claim b'coz of their own mistakes. pastu marah-marah kita for rejecting the claims. sewel betul.

ahy
kaklin ingat lari dari consultancy boleh lari dari orang-orang macam gini, rupanya mana2 pegi, sama aje...

kak ros
i read back my entry also i felt like cannot breathe, hehe

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin